Learn more about the Goldwater Scholarship award to identify the next generation of outstanding STEM researchers!
Targeted audiences for this session are sophomores and juniors planning to pursue a PhD in STEM who have been involved in undergraduate research.
In order to be considered for one of SBU's four nominations to compete in the Goldwater Scholarship competition at the national level, applicants must have a strong record of participation in undergraduate research and meet the criteria below.
This award has very specific eligibility criteria, so please read carefully. To be eligible one must:
- Submit a pre-application by November 19, 2021; full application by the December 20, 2021 Campus Nomination Deadline.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Be a full-time matriculated undergraduate Sophomore or Junior (Junior status preferred). For more information on how Goldwater defines these terms click here.
- Intend to pursue a PhD in the natural sciences, math, or engineering. It is highly unlikely for students pursuing an MD to be selected, in certain cases, exceptional prospective MD-PhD students will be considered.
- Have a 3.7 GPA or higher to be competitive.
- Have a strong record of undergraduate research in STEM.